Changes changes...

So other than being crazy busy with work...there are a couple other reasons cooking & blogging have fallen by the wayside for the moment... those are...

We're having a baby!!!!!look at the cute little feet!

And we bought a house!

So needless to say lots of changes and lots of stress - on top of my crazy busy summer season at work!

It's been interesting for me how being pregnant has changed my eating....
1) I have been so exhausted I have had absolutely no desire to cook!
2) Half the time I don't even feel like eating anything
3) When I do want food I of course want carbs & sweets...
4) My midwives have told me no no on the lots of carbs and that I need to be eating protein at every meal & lots & lots of veggies

So my eating has changed a lot....in the past few weeks I have finally been able to enjoy food again and last night did take the time to be creative & make a super tasty new meal that also met the new way I need to eat... there aren't any pictures of them meal (I didn't think of it!) but here is the tasty recipe!

Cranberry Maple Chicken w/mashed Butternut Squash

Ingredients - Serves 3-4
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
8oz fresh cranberries (I made my husband go to 3 different stores in search of fresh cranberries, lol)
1 Tb of Thyme (I used dried)
Approximately 1lb Chicken (I used leg quarters but breasts would be good too)
1 large or 2 small butternut squash
butter to taste
salt & pepper to taste
Thyme to taste
1 TB cream cheese (optional)

  • Put maple syrup, water, cranberries, and Thyme in a large non stick skillet. Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for ~10 minutes.
  • Using a rubber spatula, mash cranberries to a nice pulpy sauce.
  • Add Chicken skillet, spooning some of the sauce over top of it. Cover and cook for ~5 minutes.
  • Flip chicken & spoon sauce over it, cover and cook for another ~5 minutes.
  • Check you chicken, chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165F (or when you cut it open there is no pink flesh - this is a little hard on this dish because the cranberries can taint the meat, I recommend a good meat thermometer).
  • If your chicken is not done yet continue to cook evenly on each side until the temperature is reached, the amount of time this takes will depend on the cut & thickness of the meat you use.
  • While you are cooking your chicken take the butternut squash and stab a few holes in it with a knife.
  • Place the whole squash in a microwaveable safe dish and microwave for approximately 10 minutes.
  • Check to see if it is soft/has give to the touch, if not microwave for another few minutes (3-5 minutes)
  • Cut squash in half lengthwise, carefully scoop out the seeds and discard.
  • Scoop out the flesh/meat carefully and place it in a bowl.
  • Add butter, salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. (I also put in a little cream cheese for creaminess, Greek yogurt works great as well in place of both butter & cream cheese)
  • Mash well, heating more in the microwave as needed.

  • Serve chicken and mashed butternut squash topped with the maple cranberry sauce!

So there's an update & a quick and easy meal!

Hopefully now that things have settled down a little and I'm back to not being quite so tired more recipes will make their way on here!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.